Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Spa Girl asks is 8 to 10 glasses of WATER a day enough?



Give me a warm summer day and a pool and I’m in heaven, but water is not just good to dive into, it is also important to drink water to maintain good health. I have not always found this easy, but there are some really good reasons why we need to top up our reserves on a daily bases. My Doctor tells me women are the worst offenders and pretend at times to be camels, so girls listen up and drink more water!

Each water molecule is made up of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen, we all learned this in school right—H2O. In order to maintain good health your body, which consists of about 60 to 70% water needs H2O to regulate body temperature and to provide a means for nutrients to travel throughout your system to all your organs. Like a river of life it also transports oxygen to all your cells and removes waste and toxins from your system while also protecting your joints and organs.

The general rule of thumb is that we should drink 8 to 10 glass of water a day, but if you really want to know how much you should drink, take your body weight (in pounds) divide that number in half, and that gives you the number of ounces you need to consume in a day. A good reason to lose weight or float away! And if you exercise, and you should be, it is important to drink 8 ounces of water for every 20 minutes you are active. Your water intake should also match your alcohol consumption glass for glass. And if you travel as much as I do, the rule of thumb is to drink 8 ounces for every hour you are on board, 8 hour flight across the pond, 8 glasses of water. I also live in a semi arid climate where another two servings is recommended to keep you toped up.

Now that’s a lot of water and it can become tedious, so if you want a change add a bit of lemon or lime for a nice touch of flavour, or try some of the new flavoured waters, but read the label, some of them have far more calories than you want to add to your day. Only 20% of your water needs come from food, the rest you need to drink and water over all other beverages is still the best way to go, you consume less sugar and less calories. I also like herbal teas, just make sure they are not diuretic and juice, but generally I add half juice, half water just to keep my sugar intake to a minimum.

I have been researching water systems for my home and there are a lot of them to consider, and at varying prices. After much research, and some help from a really good friend, who knows her way around a water cooler, I think I have found a system that will work for me. I prefer water from a bottle rather than tap water for a number of reasons, but being “green” conscious a good home water system seems the best way to go. I’ll tell you more about it in another blog, in the meantime drink up!

No comments:

Post a Comment