Sunday, December 18, 2011

Spa Girls Interview with Thomas Cook Travel




Spa Girl 'virtually' sat down with Ginny Cumming, Editor, Thomas Cook Travel to discuss a special spa feature for an issue of Thomas Cook Travel.  This handsome quarterly magazine is distributed onboard Thomas Cook flights, and has a readership of 2.25 million every issue. 

Spa blogging is something I do in my 'spare' time and  writing for such a well know magazine was a great experience.  Being one of seven bloggers to be featured in Thomas Cook Travel was truly a pleasure...

GC--What is your name? 

Jann LM Bailey
 
GC--And the name of your blog/website (and URL)?

Spa Girl

GC--When and why did you start your blog/website?

A relative newcomer to blogging, I created  SPA GIRL blog in 2009 because I wanted to share my spa experiences. Spa Girl began with no specific long-term expectations, rather it was a  wonderful way to learn about blogging and explore, write and contribute to something I love to do--pamper a very busy lifestyle!

Women especially seem to take care of so many others and often forget to look after themselves--I have surely been guilty of this and Spa Girl has helped--at  least for me and I hope others--remember to take the time to take care of my own wellbeing. 

I am a big fan of aromatherapy, thalassotherapy, spa cuisine and history. I love to pamper myself, inside and out! And why not? I work hard, travel a lot and find the spa experience exciting each and every time.

One of my most favourite activities has been writing this Spa Girl blog. I have learned so much about health and wellness from all the research I've done, and I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing this knowledge and hearing from others!

The Spa experience is one of many adventures in self discovery.  History tells us that we are not alone, from the very beginning of time people have enjoyed the restorative powers and therapeutic effects of healing waters. Today the Spa experience has expanded to include so many ways to live a happy, healthy, holistic lifestyle.

Relax, rejuvenate, and restore: that’s Spa Girl's motto.

For information on thalassotherapy go to:

GC--What do you cover?

Spa Girl covers a number of interests including: aromatherapy, home spa treatments, spa modalities, feel good tips, spa destinations, spa cuisine and natural/organic products. 

Spa Girl is also on facebook where in addition to my blogs, I post links to other spa writers and stories, spa reviews and tips. 


I have studied aromatherapy for a number of years and create my own salt scrubs, bath oils, soaps and skin creams.  I often post recipes for spa products (from cupboard to face) and good eats related to my blog posts. 

I am an avid researcher and love to research all aspects of the spa industry, study and of course try every spa experience there is. 

My other passion is art museums.


GC--Do you visit all the spas yourself, or do you have a team of reviewers? (and if so, please advise how many etc)

I visit all the spas myself. 

GC--What is the best piece of advice you could offer to fellow spa lovers when they visit a spa or resort for the first time?

I have visited Spas all over the world and the one thing that I insist on is a hygienically safe environment. 
Most people make the assumption that in the Spa business they know how to maintain a safe, sanitary environment.  But it never hurts to double check, after all, it is your wellbeing you are putting into the hands of others.
The best way to assure yourself that the Spa you are visiting is 'taking care of business' is to politely ask to have a tour and ask a few questions along the way.

What to look for and what to ask...

·                Ask how they disinfect the equipment and hydrotherapy tubs and ask to see their sterilization room.
·                Ask to see a treatment room and make sure it is squeaky clean and check out the drain in the wet room.  No wanted hair here!
·                Make sure nail files are for one time use only, or disinfected between clients and that the ropes and slippers are being cleaned after each use.
·                Absolutely NO double dipping of anything!

Once you have satisfied yourself that the Spa you are booking into meets your ‘clean index’ you can truly take Spa Girls motto to heart: Relax, Rejuvenate & Restore!


GC--If you could only have one treatment for the rest of your life, what would it be? (ie what is your favourite?)

That's a hard one, I love so many different modalities!  My two spa staples are massage (deep tissue) and a facial, although I just love a salt scrub and Visy shower. So if I have to pick just one,   I would have to say a massage, as it is a whole body treatment.

GC--What (and where) is the one spa you’ve always wanted to visit, but have yet to experience?

I have so many Spas on my 'yet to experience' list...here are my top 3!

1.        Conrad Maldives Rangali Island


"Arrive in style in a seaplane over the lagoon, dine in the world's first all-glass, undersea restaurant and indulge in luxurious spa therapies. Sited in a picturesque corner of the Maldives, this luxury resort is spread across two islands, surrounded by a vibrant coral reef and lagoon. Twice voted 'Best Hotel in the World' and several times 'Best Resort', the hotel boasts 50 luxurious water villas, 79 exotic beach villas and 21 fabulous spa water villas with private treatment rooms."

2.       The St. Regis Resort Bora Bora


"The St. Regis Bora Bora, a 44-acre property and winner of Best Resort Worldwide by Travel Weekly magazine, offers luxurious accommodations combined with St. Regis' personalized services and amenities, including 24-hour concierge and room service, and the St. Regis Butler Service. The resort's spa, Spa Miri Miri, is located on its own private island and offers seven treatment rooms and a wide range of invigorating and innovative treatments. The resort has three restaurants including Lagoon, the resort's signature over-water restaurant and winner of Wine Spectator magazine’s award for excellence in 2008 and 2009."

3.       Banyan Tree, Phuket, Thailand

" An island paradise of daydream material and perfect moments, Phuket offers fine beaches, turquoise seas and warm sunny weather. This is a destination that showcases the island’s extraordinary beauty in a setting of award-winning architecture, built in harmony with nature.

Indulge in a range of treatments at the renowned Banyan Tree Spa, savour the best of local and international cuisine as prepared by master chefs, or venture out to explore Phuket.

Banyan Tree Phuket is the destination you have always dreamed of and one that you will never forget.  
The ultimate luxury here has to be a stay in the spa pool villa with its elegant 'floating bed' pavilion amid tranquil lily ponds. Many rooms come with a dedicated 'in-villa spa'. "
 
GC--What is the weirdest/most outrageous/most expensive treatment you've ever had?

Nothing is to weird or outrageous for Spa Girl...bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment