You have most likely noticed I have been writing about food and vitamins this month. Well there is a good reason! March is Nutrition Month in North America and there is nothing more satisfying than a well planned meal--especially if you share it with friends. And let's face it, food is a major part of our day and so important to our overall well being. What we eat directly impacts on how our bodies function, so why not make it fun, colourful, local, organic, and nutritious.
I am a foodie and will be the first to admit that I love Spa Cuisine! However you can't eat out everyday, so knowing how and what to prepare at home is a critical part to good nutrition. Eating Well suggests "the best way to ensure you have everything you need to prepare delicious meals is to keep a well-stocked pantry. When you cook at home you can prepare healthy, nourishing food using quality, fresh ingredients—much better than prepared food that is often loaded with calories, fats, sodium and added sweeteners."
They have provided some great tips on How to Stock Your Pantry...
Spa Girl asks did you know?
· Canadians spend about 70 minutes a day on eating, while the French spend about 135 minutes a day.
· Milk is 87% water. The nutrients, like protein, carbohydrate, vitamins and minerals are all found in the other 13%.
· Only 11 per cent of the salt we eat is added by the salt shaker; over 75 per cent comes from processed and restaurant foods.· Vitamin D helps our bodies absorb calcium from foods.
· Fluid needs vary depending on your age and gender. Teens and adults need anywhere between 8 and 13 cups of fluid each day. Water is great, but milk, juice, soup and anything else you drink also count as fluid.
· Carbohydrate is stored as glycogen in muscles, where it is used as a source of quick energy. If you deplete your glycogen stores during long steady intense activity like marathon running, you will become fatigued and exhausted. The only way to refill muscle glycogen stores is by eating carbohydrate-rich foods.
· Broccoli is a source of calcium. You can get 50 mg of calcium from a 3/4 cup (175 mL) portion. Adults aged 19–50 need 1000 mg of calcium every day.
· Avocados are a super food, relatively high in fat and calories, but one of the best foods you can eat as they are packed full of nutrients, heart-healthy compounds and disease-fighting antioxidants.
Enjoy a lifetime of good health by making nutritious choices where you live, work, and play. Use these useful tools and science-based information that you can trust.
Assess your current lifestyle and eating habits. Find out if you are on track or if some changes are needed.
Plan, Shop, Cook
From tips on meal planning to delicious new recipes to try, if you like to shop, cook and eat well we’ve got tips and ideas for you!
Nutrition Month 2012 is dedicated to busting up popular food and nutrition myths by bringing truths to Canadians from dietitians, the food and nutrition experts.
Nutrition Month 2012: 25 Common Food Myths Bustedhttp://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/03/01/nutrition-month-2012_n_1310751.html
Use these 10 tips to learning more about where food comes from and how to get your family more involved in mealtime.
For more information on how to become or where to find a Registered Dietitian near you, go to www.dietitians.ca
Sometimes all it takes to eat healthy is a well-stocked pantry. Here are 10 tricks that will save you time in the kitchen
Sustainable Table celebrates local sustainable food, educates consumers on food-related issues and works to build community